The U.S. Embassy and U.S. Consulates in Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata and Mumbai will no longer send out security messages regarding routine demonstrations taking place in India. Instead, information about routine demonstrations will be posted on the U.S. Embassy and U.S. Consulates websites, under the heading “Demonstration Notices.” Please monitor our websites regularly for information about protest activities in the country. Please note that the Embassy and Consulates will continue to issue emergency/security messages for other purposes, as necessary.
June 20, 2014
The protest has concluded but there is still an elevated police presence in the area and traffic flow in Vasant Vihar may continue to be affected. Approximately 50 Burmese refugees gathered peacefully in front of the UNHCR for 4 hours. No further demonstrations are anticipated.
June 20, 2014
Regional Security Office (RSO) has received information of a possible protest today at the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) located at B 2/16 Vasant Vihar. Delhi police do not expect violence but are on hand and have emplaced additional barricades in the area surrounding the building. The anticipated number of protestors is between 250-300 individuals.
Traffic flow may be affected in the area. Additional Local Guard Force has been assigned to nearby embassy residences.
RSO will provide updates as received.
Spontaneous and planned demonstrations take place in India from time to time in response to world events or local developments. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn violent. Please avoid the areas where demonstrations are occurring and exercise caution if within the vicinity of any large gatherings. Please stay current with media coverage of local events, be aware of your surroundings, and practice personal security awareness at all times.
U.S. citizens traveling and residing abroad should enroll in the Smart Travelers Enrollment Program (STEP). U.S. citizens without internet access may enroll directly at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate at their destination. By enrolling, U.S. citizens make it easier for the Embassy or Consulate to contact them in case of emergency.
Updated information on travel and security may be obtained from the Department of State by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or, for callers outside the United States and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. For further information, please consult the Worldwide Caution and other consular information, including Country Specific Information, for specific countries. These products and the latest international travel information for U.S. citizens are available on the Bureau of Consular Affairs website. Follow us on Twitter and the Bureau of Consular Affairs page on Facebook as well.
U.S. citizens with questions or concerns may contact the American Citizens Services Unit of the Embassy or the Consulates General for further information:
- The U.S. Embassy in New Delhi is located at Shanti Path, Chanakya Puri 110021; telephone +91-11-2419-8000; fax +91-11-2419-8587. For after-hours emergencies, please call the 24-hour operator at (+91-11) 2419-8000 and ask for American Citizen Services.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay) is located at C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051Phone: (22) 2672-4000. For after-hours emergencies, please call the 24-hour operator at (+91-22) 2672-4000 and ask for American Citizens Services. If you are calling from within India, but outside Mumbai, first dial 022.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Chennai (Madras) is at 220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006, telephone +91-44-2857-4000; fax +91-44-2811-2027. For after-hours emergencies, please call the 24-hour operator at (+91-44) 2857-4000 and ask for American Citizen Services. If you are calling from within India, but outside Chennai, first dial 044-.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Kolkata (Calcutta) is at 5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071; telephone +91-33-3984-2400; fax +91-33-2282-2335. For after-hours emergencies, please call our primary hotline cell phone (91) 99030 42956. If unable to reach the cell phone, please call (91) (33) 3984-2400 and dial "0" and ask for the Duty Officer.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Hyderabad is at Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500 003; telephone: +91 (40) 4033-8300. For after-hours emergencies, please call the 24-hour operator at (+91-40) 4033-8300 and ask for American Citizen Services. If you are calling from within India, but outside Hyderabad, first dial 040-.