Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Documents and Forms

Information for K-3 Visa Applicants - Packet 4

You have notified us that you have all the documents needed for your application for an nonimmigrant K3 visa. We have scheduled an appointment for you to come to this office and formally apply for a nonimmigrant K3 visa.  Your children below 21 years must appear in person with you for the interview. Each applicant requires a separate visa.  If you cannot keep your visa appointment, please notify this office at +91-120-6611411 (08:00 a.m. to 05:00 p.m.), Email:

Before Coming For Your Visa Interview The Following Documents Should Be Presented At Your Nearest VFS Office (A List Of Offices Is Enclosed).&Nbsp; VFS Will Give You A Receipt For All Documents Left With It.&Nbsp; At The Time You Present Your Documents You Must Also Pay A Courier Fee Of Rs. 387/-.

All Documents Must Be Presented At Your Nearest Vfs Office (See Attached Sheet) No Earlier Than Fifteen (15) Working Days And No Less Than Seven (7) Days Prior To Your Interview. 

If you wish, you may submit your documents at the Embassy on the day of interview but You Must pay the courier charges at a VFS office prior to your scheduled interview date.  However, we strongly encourage you to submit your documents at a VFS office at least seven (7) days prior to your scheduled interview. 

Required documents should be presented in the following order for each applicant.  Please tick the boxes on the left side, to be sure that you have collected all the documents for the interview.

Passport:  Each applicant must have a valid passport.  The passport must be valid for travel to the United States and must have at least six months validity beyond the issuance date of the visa.  The passport should reflect the correct name and date of birth of the applicant.  The visa is issued in the name given in the applicant's passport.  A female applicant does not compulsorily have to change her name to her married name.  Those applicants whose passports are issued in their maiden names will have their visas issued in their maiden names.  Applicants should bring all current and former/expired passports with them to the Embassy for their interview.

Photos:     See attached sheet.

Application Forms:  attached forms DS-156, Nonimmigrant Visa Application, two copies for each applicant.  Separate forms should be completed for each applicant.   When completing the form please include all names used by each applicant, including any names used in the past.  In particular, married women must be sure to include their full name as used before marriage, after marriage, and any other aliases.  Please use the exact spelling and name order indicated in the applicant's passport.  An original Form DS-156-K, Nonimmigrant Fiancé Visa Application to be completed by the principal applicant.

Birth Certificate:  Original and photocopy.  Each applicant must submit an original and a clear photocopy of his/her birth certificate.  The certificate should include the applicant's name, date and place of birth, the names of both parents, and the seal of the issuing office; i.e., the municipal authorities.  If your name is not mentioned in the birth certificate and if any details are missing in the birth certificate or if there is a discrepancy regarding your date of birth or name, submit the certificate along with secondary evidence.

Secondary evidence can be a baptismal certificate, an adoption decree, a school record, a notarized affidavit from a close relative (a parent, a close relative, a neighbor or friend who was present at the time of your birth) on the appropriate stamp paper, which must be sworn before a First Class Magistrate.  The person making this affidavit must state how he/she knows your family and how he/she knows the facts of your birth. Secondary evidence must have your name, date and place of birth; names of both parents; and the seal of the issuing office.  If your birth was not recorded, please submit a "no record of birth registration" letter from the relevant municipality along with secondary evidence and if your birth record has been destroyed or the municipality authorities will not issue one, submit a letter from the municipality stating so along with secondary evidence.  Secondary evidence may be a baptismal certificate, an adoption decree, a school record, a notarized affidavit from a close relative (a parent, a close relative, a neighbor or friend who was present at the time of your birth) on the appropriate stamp paper, which must be sworn before a First Class Magistrate.  The person making this affidavit must state how he/she knows your family and how he/she knows the facts of your birth. Secondary evidence must have your name, date and place of birth; names of both parents; and the seal of the issuing office. 

Note: If any of these documents were issued in a regional language, a notarized English translation is required in addition to the original.

Marriage Certificate:  Any applicant who has ever married must provide an original and a clear photocopy of the marriage certificate(s) for all marriages.  Persons who married before 1955 must attempt to register their marriage.  Failing this, they must submit affidavits on appropriate stamp paper sworn before a First Class Magistrate indicating the names of the bride and groom, the date and place of the marriage ceremony.  Persons married in 1955 and later must submit a marriage registration certificate.  Certificates issued by the appropriate authorities are acceptable if they are legally valid in India.  If any of these documents were issued in a local language, a notarized English translation is required in addition to the original.  If you and your spouse are applying for visas, you should submit an original and two clear photocopies of each certificate.

Termination Of Previous Marriage: All applicants who have divorced or whose spouses have died must provide an original and a clear photocopy of proof of the legal termination of all previous marriages (death certificate of spouse, divorce decree). Divorce between Hindus and between Christians must be documented by a court order.  A certificate from the Kazi or the head of the Jammat must document divorce between Muslims.  If any of these documents was issued in a local language, a notarized English translation is required in addition to the original.

Proof of Relationship:  We strongly suggest that all applicants bring extensive documentary evidence of the relationship between the petitioner and the primary beneficiary and between the primary beneficiary and any derivative beneficiaries.  Failure to do so could greatly delay your application while your application is investigated.  Some examples of such evidence are family and other photographs (old and recent) showing the parties together, letters, cards, correspondence, and telephone records.

Police Report: Each applicant aged 16 years and older must submit a police certificate that includes information regarding the applicant, including all arrests, the reason for the arrest(s) and the disposition of such cases.  (A) Indian citizens residing in India for six months or more since turning 16 years of age must present Indian police clearance certificates from both their district police station and the local area passport office.   Applicants whose passports were issued within six months of the visa interview may present just the passport office certificate.  These certificates are valid for one year from the date of issuance.  (B) If an Indian citizen who has lived in India for at least one year after the age of 16 currently resides outside India, he/she must obtain a certificate issued by the Indian Embassy or Consulate where he/she lives.  These certificates are valid for only one year from the date of issuance. 

(C) Foreign police certificates: applicants who have resided in any other country for one year or more after the age of 16 must also submit police certificates for these countries.  Applicants may inquire with our Immigrant Visa Unit regarding police certificates for these countries, telephone number: 2419-8062(10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon), Email: .  You may also check in the visa reciprocity table on the website   (D) U.S. police certificates are not required for applicants who have lived in the U.S.A.  (E) Non-Indian immigrant visa applicants residing in India should obtain police certificates from the district police station serving their area of residence.

Deportation: Any applicant who has been deported from the United States must submit all documents relating to the matter.

Prison Records: Applicants who have been convicted of a crime must submit court records, prison records, records regarding the disposition of the case and any additional information regarding the crime, regardless of the fact that he/she may have subsequently benefited from an amnesty, pardon or other act of clemency.

Military Records:  A certified copy of any military record is required.  The record should contain a complete record of the applicant's service and conduct while in service.  It must show any conviction of crime before a military tribunal.  A discharge certificate is required upon discharge, retirement, or resignation from military service.

Affidavit of Support:
Note: Only U.S. consular officers, DHS officers and U.S. notaries are authorized to notarize form I-134.

Each visa applicant needs to satisfy the consular officer that he/she will not become a public charge.  The petitioner must provide a notarized affidavit of support (form I-134), forms 1040 and W2 for the most recent taxable year.  If the petitioner's income is not sufficient the applicant MUST submit the above documents from the petitioner along with the same documents from an additional sponsor willing to assume financial responsibility for the visa applicant.  See the paragraph below for details regarding these documents.

  • Form I-134.

  • Documentary evidence that the petitioner/joint sponsor is a U.S.citizen /U.S. permanent resident (e.g., clear photocopy of birth certificate/certificate of naturalization/U.S. passport/ both sides of green card, as applicable).
  • Petitioner must provide a written statement if he/she is unemployed

Medical Report: Medical report from one of the Embassy's panels physicians for each applicant.  See enclosed list of physicians. 

Fees:     Visa fees are not refundable; they must be paid through a rupee bank draft drawn on a nationalized or foreign bank.  The bank drafts must be issued in the name of "The American Embassy, New Delhi", and should be payable in Delhi.  Traveler's check or cash in US $ is acceptable.  As the rate of exchange can change, we recommend that applicants check the current consular rate of exchange at our website or contact the Embassy ahead of their interview to obtain the current consular rate of exchange.  Only single draft is required.  Exchange rate subject to change without notice.

Note:  The above fees are separate from the fee charged when a nonimmigrant K3 visa petition, form I-129F is filed. 


  • Visa applicants must submit all the requested documents at their interview.

  • Photocopies and/or faxed copies of documents that are submitted, including those used to identify a person (e.g. green card, passport) should be clear; the image and the information in the copies should be clearly visible. Please inform our office immediately of any change that may affect your visa application, such as, a change of address, a change of marital status, the death of the petitioner, birth or adoption of any children by you.

Additional Information

An applicant's documents will  be reviewed, and they will be advised of the outcome of their applications. The Consular Section is closed on Saturday, Sunday, and American and Indian holidays.  Due to the volume of applicants, this process may takes most of the day.  We suggest bringing books, crossword puzzles and other diversions. The waiting room is air-conditioned, has toilets, and is a no-smoking area.

No Assurance That Visa Will Be Issued
No assurance can be given in advance that a visa will be issued. A consular officer can make a decision only after your visa application and all documents are reviewed, and you have been personally interviewed. The K3 is a nonimmigrant visa for the spouse of a U.S.citizen.  The K4 is a nonimmigrant visa for the unmarried child, under 21 years of a K3 applicant.  You are advised not to make any travel arrangements, and not to dispose of your property or give up your job until the visa has been issued.  If your visa application is refused, you will be given a refusal sheet that will indicate the basis for your refusal.  If applicable, it will tell you what actions you may take to overcome the refusal.  Applicants who are issued a visa will receive a nonimmigrant K3 visa within a week from the day they are interviewed.  The visas are affixed inside each passport and the applicant is given a sealed envelope which should be hand carried, UNOPENED, to the United States and submitted to the immigration inspector at the U.S. port-of-entry.  

Validity of the K3 visa:  A K3 visa is generally valid for two years.  You must travel and apply for admission to the United States within that period. The visa may not be transferred from one person to another, or used by any person other than the person to whom issued. 

Immigration Procedures At The Port Of Entry
Applicants should be aware that a visa does not guarantee entry into the United States.  Legally, the visa specifies the period during which the bearer may apply at a port of entry to enter the United States. The Department of Homeland Security - Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Service office (DHS-BCIS) authorizes the traveler's admission to the United States, not the consular officer.

This information sheet is provided free of charge by the Consular Section, American Embassy, New Delhi. 

Please note that any false statement or concealment of a material fact may result in your permanent exclusion from the United States.