U.S. Citizen Services
The U.S. Embassy, New Delhi serves American citizens in the Indian states of Delhi, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, and the country of Bhutan. Our four consulates serve the following districts:
The Consulate General in Chennai provides consular services for the states of Karnataka, Kerala, Puducherry, Lakshadweep, Tamil Nadu, and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
The Consulate General in Hyderabad provides consular services for the states of Andhra Pradesh and Orissa.
The Consulate General in Kolkata provides consular services for the states of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Bihar, Jharkhand, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim, Tripura and West Bengal.
The Consulate General in Mumbai provides consular services for the states of Goa, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Diu and Daman, and Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
(Virtual Consulate, check for service hours)
- Emergency Contact for the U.S. Embassy, New Delhi
- Medical Assistance (includes doctor/hospital list)
- Arrest of an American Citizen (includes attorney list)
- Death of an American Citizen
- Welfare of an American Citizen
- Victims of Crime
- Lost or Stolen Passport
- Financial Emergencies
Travel and Security Information
- Warden Messages
- Travel Alerts
- Sign Up for Security and Travel Updates
- Country Specific Information: India
Passports and Document Services Appointment Required!
You must make an appointment online here for all passport and notary services.
Other Consular Services
Can't find what you are looking for? Try the A-Z Index.
U.S. Visa Inquiries
American Citizen Services units are unable to assist with information
regarding visas to the United States. For visa information, please
visit the nonimmigrant visa section or send an inquiry to our support
team. Stanley now handles all telephone and email queries through their new multi-language call center and takes calls from 8:00 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Friday (excluding holidays), and 9:00 a.m. to 6:00p.m. on Sunday. Please direct all your email queries now to email@example.com or telephone +91-120-6602222 or+91-22-67209400, and 1-310-616-5424 (for calls from the U.S.).
To report suspected visa-related fraud, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) addresses questions about Green Cards, permanent residency, asylum, changing status and other immigration questions. You can email specific inquiries to email@example.com.
What We Can't Do
We would always like to help, but there are many frequently requested services that we are unable to perform, including:
- Provide information regarding U.S. visas or immigration benefits
- Assist with travel, employment or real estate
- Locate lost property
- Pay personal debts for U.S. citizens
- Authorize or pay for medical treatment
- Prepare tax returns or translations
- Issue or authenticate U.S. birth/marriage/death certificates
- Issue U.S. police records
- Provide security or law enforcement services (including fingerprinting)
- Renew or replace driver's licenses
- Collect or forward mail/packages
- Cash checks
- Provide legal advice or intervene in judicial cases
- Locate or provide information on U.S. citizens
- Assist with Indian or U.S. residency or immigration issues, including Green Cards or acquisition of U.S. citizenship
- Provide information on schools or businesses in the U.S. or India
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can download a free version by clicking the link above.