Adult Passport Renewals (over 16 years)
Adult passport holders may renew their 10-year U.S. passports in person or by mail. We reserve the right to request an interview with respect to any passport application.
To renew your passport by mail:
1. Complete and print the passport application online here.
Online application tips:
- Complete the address fields completely. If you are in India, your passport will not be sent back to the United States. When you drop off your application, you can designate if you wish to pick it up or have it sent to you by courier to an address in India.
- If completing an application without a social security number, you may enter all zeroes as a placeholder.
- Expedite fee: You do not need to select the "expedite fee" option; passports printed for citizens abroad are automatically expedited.
- Please fill out the emergency contact information even though it is not required to submit the application.
- Do not use two-sided printing
2. Submit all required documents with the printed application form:
- Two (2) studio-quality color photographs taken within the last six months measuring 2" x 2" (5cm x 5cm) with a white background. No other photo format will be accepted. More information
- The applicant's most recent U.S. passport. This passport will be cancelled and returned by mail along with the new passport. Valid visas in the old passport will not be cancelled.
- Properly completed and printed passport application form. The form must be signed and dated, and must include a valid telephone number (mobile or landline) and/or e-mail address.
- If the applicant's appearance has changed significantly since the old passport was issued, a clear photocopy of another current form of photo identification, such as a driver's license, PIO Card, etc.
- If the applicant's surname has changed due to marriage, please include an original marriage certificate.
- Passport Fee payment: If applying by mail, please submit a demand draft in favor of "American Embassy, New Delhi" drawn on a national bank. Personal checks are not accepted.
If applying by mail, please send (or deliver) all of the required documents to this address:
American Citizen Services Unit
New Delhi - 110 021
We recommend that you use Indian registered mail or a reliable courier service that uses tracking numbers for sending in your application.
Important Note: If you are submitting your passport renewal application by mail and would like to have your new passport couriered to you, please submit a courier slip (PDF 6.5KB) and an additional bank draft for INR 300 payable to "First Flight Couriers LTD". Bank drafts for courier fees can be drawn from any nationalized, foreign bank or co-operative bank operating in India. Once First Flight has your new passport, you may track it by entering your old passport number on First Flight’s website. If you provide a mobile number to First Flight on the courier slip, you will receive updates via SMS.
Renewal-by-mail service is NOT available if you are:
- A minor (under 16 years old)
- Replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated passport
- Renewing a 5-year passport applicants whose passport has been expired for more than five years.
These applicants must make an appointment to apply in person and bring all of the required documents listed above. Appointments are available for American citizens Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 12:30 pm. We are closed on the last Wednesday of every month and on American and Indian holidays.
Please arrive fifteen minutes before your appointment to clear security. Mobile phones, electronic devices other restricted items are not permitted inside the Embassy.
Complete fee information is available here. If applying in person, you may pay with cash dollars, cash rupees (at the current exchange rate), demand draft or a major U.S. credit card. Personal checks are not accepted.
Passport Processing Time
Except in emergencies, passports are printed in the United States and take approximately 7-10 days. Please consider this timeline when renewing or applying for passports. You will receive an automated email when your passport is ready.
Passport Delivery or Pick Up
Your passport will be returned by courier unless you decide to pick it up. You may pick up passports between 11:00 am and 12:00 pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays. You do not need an appointment to pick up your passport.
Frequently Asked Questions
For how long is a passport valid? In general, children under the age of 16 are issued passports valid for five years; those 16 and over are issued passports valid for ten years.
How do I renew my U.S. passport? Appointments are required for passport services. Appointments are available Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 12:30 pm. The New Delhi Embassy is closed on the last Wednesday of every month and on American and Indian holidays. Applicants should plan to spend at least an hour at the Embassy. Each family member seeking a service related to passports should make an individual appointment.
Please visit the following links for general info on scheduling, required documents, prohibited items, and holiday closures; to schedule an appointment online; and to view American Citizens Services fees.
How do I renew my child’s passport? Both parents and the child must appear in person at the U.S. Embassy to renew the passport of a child under the age of 16. For a list of documents to prepare and information on what to do if one parent is unable to appear in person, please see the information at: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html#step7minor.
Can I renew my passport before it expires? Yes, do not wait for your passport to expire before applying for a renewal passport. Your passport may be renewed at any time that is convenient for you. Travelers to India and most other countries in Asia must present a passport valid for at least six months to be permitted to enter.
How soon should I renew my passport before it expires? You may apply to renew your U.S. passport at any time. If your passport has expired or is about to expire, we strongly recommend that you take action now to renew your passport. Apart from the inconvenience you may incur in having to apply for a passport at short notice in the event of an emergency, every American abroad should have valid proof of his or her citizenship at all times. Please click here for information on U.S. passport renewal for adults over the age of 16.
If I don't plan to travel back to the United States any time soon, why should I renew my passport now? There are three reasons:
- The passport is proof of American citizenship. Every American abroad should have valid proof of his/her citizenship at all times.
- Life is unpredictable. You never know when you may need to travel suddenly to the United States. The last thing you need to do in an emergency is worry about getting to the Embassy or Consulate to get your or your child's passport renewed.
- A valid passport is required for many Indian administrative purposes and you do not want to get caught with an expired passport if you need to process an application or stay in a hotel.
In the event of an emergency involving a family member abroad, a short-notice airfare bargain, or an unexpected business trip, already having a valid U.S. passport will save time, money, and stress.
I have visa stamps in my current passport. What happens to them when this passport is cancelled? The U.S. Embassy/Consulate does not have the authority to transfer visas or stamps issued by other countries. When you renew your passport, your old passport will be cancelled but not your valid visas. You should then contact the appropriate authority of the issuing country for further instruction.
My passport has already expired. I do not wish to apply for a new one. Can my passport be extended? No. Passports are not extendable.
Will you hold my current passport during the processing time of my new passport? Yes, because we need it to cancel upon issuance of your new passport. Since our policy is to send passports via courier, it isn’t necessary to come back in to cancel the passport. Both the new and cancelled passports will returned in the couriered package.
I cannot pick up my passport right away. Will this be a problem? We will hold your new passport for up to two weeks. After that we will return them to the Department. That is why our policy is now to return passports and CRBAs via courier.
Can someone pick up my passport for me? What document will they need to provide? If you would like to have a family member or trusted friend pick up your passport, please give them a signed letter authorizing them to perform this service for you. They also will need to present a valid ID.
Will I get my passport back when I renew it? Yes. In nearly all cases, your old passport will be cancelled and returned to you. If we are not able to return your old passport for any reason, we will discuss this with you at the time of application.
My passport is still valid, but its pages are fully stamped. Can I have extra pages added to it, or should I apply for a new passport? You may apply to have extra pages added to the passport up to two times. After that you must apply for a new passport. Alternatively if your passport will expire shortly you may apply to renew it. Applicants for U.S. passports have the option of receiving a 52-page book for the same price as a 28-page full validity passport, so that applicants who know they will use a larger number of pages can get the larger book in advance and therefore avoid paying for additional pages down the road. When you come to your appointment, the process will take approximately 20-30 minutes and you can either wait while it is done or drop your passport off and pick it up later. Please check the passport page for more information.
Please email email@example.com
General information about U.S. passports is available here.