Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Types of Visas

Visitors to the United States require nonimmigrant visas. The type of visa you need depends on your purpose of travel. Unless specifically noted, all nonimmigrant visa applicants follow the same application process

For Visa Applicants in A-3, G-5, NATO-7, B-1 domestic employee, H-1B, H-1B1, H-2A, H-2B, and J-1 categories:  Before your visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate abroad, it is important that you take the time to carefully read this pamphlet about your rights.

If you plan to permanently relocate to the United States, please visit the Immigrant Visas section.

More information on all types of visas is available at the U.S Department of State website

Not from India or Bhutan?

Some third country nationals (Non-Indian or Bhutanese citizens) may be eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). For more information about third country national visa and appointment requirements, please visit the Department of State website.

Special Programs

  • Summer Work and Travel

    This international program allows university students to experience life in the United States by working for up to four months.