Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Lawful Perm. Res. Status

Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status (I-407)

If you wish to abandon your permanent residence and relinquish your Permanent Resident Card  popularly known as "Green Card", please download and print the attached form and complete the relevant items. 


You will need to complete the Form I-407(PDF 601KB), "Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status".

Supporting Documentation

Please return the following three items along with Form I-407:

  1. Completed I-407
  2. Your Permanent Resident Card
  3. Reentry Permit [if available] 

You can submit the duly completed Form I-407 and other attachments to this Office or to a Consular Officer authorized to accept such documentation.  Walk-ins are accommodated from 09:00 a.m. to 12 noon on any business day [Monday through Friday].

You should keep a copy of the completed I-407 in your passport whenever you travel to the United States.

Once the I-407 is completed, you will revert to your previous status as a non-immigrant and may apply for admission into the United States in the manner of any other person of common nationality.

Abandoning your Permanent Resident Card and status does not affect your ability to apply to immigrate to the United States at some future time. However, you will have to begin the process anew and apply through the usual application process.

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You can download a free version by clicking the link above.